This piece--How to Spot Truth in the Sea of Lies, Rumors, and Myths on the Internet--may turn you into a lifehacker lover too!
In a nutshell, lifehacker suggests the following steps to determine whether what you find on the internet is true:
- Prime your brain with a simple question: "How do you know what you know?"
- Follow the source list and find the context for claims
- Learn to ask the right questions (e.g., Is it safe to try this?, Is the statement coming from a reputable source?, and Does the person writing this have anything to gain from their statement?)
- Put more viewpoints in front of you
- Check dubious claims against trusted sources (this section is very helpful, as it provides some links to [mostly] reliable fact-checking sites -- MHS)
Don't just settle for my brief synopsis here. Instead, dive into (pun intended) the Sea of Lies below and read the rest!
Oh, and as a special bonus, you can use these same techniques to ensure the sources you use for your academic and professional research are also reliable!